How to Set up and use HomeKit-enabled accessories with your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
With HomeKit app, you can use your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch (iOS devices) to control all of your smart home accessories that “Works with Apple HomeKit” accessories. All your home accessories like home smart doors, like lights, locks, thermostats, smart plugs, and more can be controlled over your iOS devices, if all those accessories are compatible with Apple HomeKit.
Stuff you will need:
To start using Apple homekit feature you will need these devices:
- iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iOS 8.1 or later
- Any accessory which is compatible with homekit.
Accessories that you can use with homekit are:
- ecobee3 Smarter WiFI Thermostat with Remote Sensor EB-STATe3-02
- ecobee3 Smarter WiFI Thermostat with Remote Sensor EB-STATe3-C02
- Elgato Eve Door & Window 1ED109901000-G
- Elgato Eve Energy 1EE108301000
- Elgato Eve Weather 1EW109901000-G
- Elgato Eve Room 1ER109901000-G
- iHome Control Smart Plug iSP5
- Insteon Hub Pro 2243-222
- Lutron Smart Bridge L-BDG2-WH
- Lutron Smart Bridge Pro L-BDGPRO2-WH
- Lutron Smart Lighting Kit for Wall and Ceiling Lights P-BDG-PKG2P
- Lutron Smart Bridge L-BDG2-WH-C
- Lutron Smart Bridge Pro L-BDGPRO2-WH-C
- Lutron Smart Lighting Kit for Wall and Ceiling Lights P-BDG-PKG2P-C
- Lutron Smart Lighting Kit for Lamps P-BDG-PKG2W-C
See all the accessories that you can use with HomeKit.
Download apps from app store
On your iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch device, Go > To > the App Store and download apps for your HomeKit-enabled accessories.
Now pair your iOS devices and HomeKit accessory
All of Your HomeKit-enabled smart devices comes with a HomeKit setup code that you have to use to pair with your iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch. Now, on your native iOS device open the desired accessory app and enter that code which comes with the accessory and pair it with your iOS device. If, by any chance you are not able to find your code, then you can contact the device manufacturers for help. How to Set up and use HomeKit-enabled accessories with your iPhone.
How to use Apple iOS Siri to Control your HomeKit accessories
After all setup and pairing is done and complete between your iOS device and HomeKit accessories. After you pair your HomeKit-enabled accessory and iOS device, you can use Siri commands to say things like “set room temperature to 62” , and many more things.
Sometime’s if your iOS device is locked, Some Apple iOS Siri commands for some accessories will not work. If you want to use siri to do some work for you, first unlock the iOS device and then ask siri to do some work for you. How to Set up and use HomeKit-enabled accessories with your iPhone.
How to Control your HoemeKit connected accessories when you are away from home
You can always control your HomeKit-enabled accessories when you’re away from home using your Apple iOS device with homekit native accessories app. But, if you want to control all the devices with siri, then you will need an Apple TV (3rd generation or later) with software version 7.0 or later. Sign into iCloud with the same Apple ID on your iOS device and Apple TV, and you’ll be able to use Siri commands to remotely control your accessories. If your remote access isn’t working, sign out out of iCloud on your Apple TV, then sign back in. How to Set up and use HomeKit-enabled accessories with your iPhone.
Add homekit room and zone to Siri – Group accessories together in homes, rooms, and scenes
Depending on the app you use for your HomeKit-enabled accessories, you might be able to group accessories together in homes, rooms, or scenes. This is useful if you want to control a group of accessories with a single Siri command. You’ll need to set up these groups within the third-party app, and some apps might not have this option.
How to Delete your homekit app data or reset your HomeKit enabled accessories
Facing some problem to control your HomeKit accessories using your iOS device?
If you are facing any problem to control your homekit accessories while you are away from home, just check your Internet connect and make sure that you have Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned on in Settings on your iOS device. All these settings must be turned on your iOS device.
How to Add HomeKit Rooms to Siri
- Open the Siri app screen in your HomeKit app of choice.
- Select Rooms.
- Select the plus button on top to add a new room.
How to Add HomeKit Zones to Siri
- Open the Siri app screen in your HomeKit app whichever you want.
- Go to Zones.
- Select the plus button on top to add a new zone.
- Now Name your zone and select the rooms you want to control within it.
- Press Save.
How to Use Siri for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch: Full guide
- How to change Siri default language On iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.
- How to Manually Control when Siri listens on iOS 7 and iOS 8.
- How to ask siri questions by typing instead of your voice on iPhone and iPad.
- How to Enable or disable your iPhone or iPad Settings Using Siri .
- Enable or disable iPhone Bluetooth, WiFi, Mobile network, Airplane Mode using Siri.
- How to teach Siri to recognize and pronounce someone’s name correctly in iOS 7 and iOS 8.
- How to Teach Siri to Correctly Recognize and Pronounce Names in Your Address Book.
- How to Call a Contact on Your iPhone Using Siri.
- How to send an SMS or iMessage with Siri on iPhone and iPad.
- How to send an email using Siri on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch.
- How to get contact information using Siri On iPhone or iPad.
- How to call, message, and email your contacts using Siri on iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
- How do i ask or use siri Something in iOS 7 or iOS 8.
- How to check and read email messages Using siri in iOS 7 and iOS 8.
- How to check your iPhone and iPad voicemail using Siri on iOS 7 or iOS 8.
- How to check your iPhone and iPad call history using Siri on iOS 7 or iOS 8.
- How to make a FaceTime call Using Siri on iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch.
- How to create location based reminders using Siri .
- Apple iOS 9 – Siri gets smarter with context-sensitive feature or proactive assistant.
- How to Set up and use HomeKit-enabled accessories with your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.